Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Update


It has been 7 weeks and two days since my surgery (hip labrum repair) and I finally feel a noticeable improvement with what I am able to do. For a while I was using our stationary bike and/or my road bike (on indoor trainer) for 20-40 minutes at a time but it was not working out to well and I basically over did it. After taking 10 days off, I felt less pain and have now been working out daily on my home elliptical machine for almost a week. The last few days have been 45 minute sessions with no real negative consequences.



I have also experienced increased ROM and strength through physical therapy. I hope to be up to 1 hour daily by the end of the month and starting to walk/jog by middle January. Early on the increments of improvement were so small that it was often hard to quantify. Like most runners....I often need numbers (ie- minutes worked), to measure improvement. Must be patient!

In other news, I will not be representing Team Pearl Izumi-Smith for 2011. This is no surprise to me, as I was essentially hurt for most of my stint on the team during 2010, but it still is disappointing. I honestly don't think that I deserve to be on the team until I can show that I am healthy and competing at a high level. I would like to thank Aric Manning (Team Director) and all the people at Pearl Izumi and Smith Optics for the opportunity to have been just a small part of the team. It was great to meet all of you, as well as, the team itself. I will continue to follow your results. I hope we can give it another shot in the future. Good luck in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails